Bellary Diocese

  • Create an account
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Our Patron - St. Anthony

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events currently scheduled.
View full calendar

Parishes & Convents » Parishes and Convents » Parishes & Convents


BELLARY CANTONMENT: Christ the King Church [1800]

E-mail Print PDF

Parish

Established

Patron

Catholics

Families

Address

Tel

Deanery

Parish Priest

Mob

Email

PPC Vice President

PPC Secretary

Associations

Mass timings

 

: Christ the King Church

: 1840

: Christ the King

: 950

: 185

: Cantonment, Ballari - 583104

: 08392-242676

: Ballari

: Fr. Peter Y.S.

: 944950585

: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

: Mr. G. Ravi

: Ms. Sharlet

: Altar Servers &Youth Association

: 6:00 am & 7:15 am on Sundays

: 6:15 am on weekdays

: 6.00pm on first Fri.

 

 

A brief history of the parish:

In the latter part of the 17thcentury, Ballari Town and District were part of Mysore Kingdom of Hyder Ali and Tippu Sultan. After the death of Tippu Sultan in 1799, Ballari came under the Nizam of Hyderabad and he ceded Ballari, Anatapur, Cuddapah and Chittoor districts to the British in1799, in lieu of payment for the British subsidiary force, stationed in the Nizam’s territories.   Fr. Joachim de Souza and Fr. Fulgence Perozy, two Goan Missionaries worked zealously in Ballari and in the ceded districts between 1775 and 1845.

The British made Ballari a military station with a Cantonment in 1801. The army personnel with their families formed the Catholic community of the parish. The parish was functioning in Assumption Church till 1963. Assumption Church was built by Fr. Patrick Doyle, an Irish MIssioanry from the Diocese of Ossore, Dublin province. The old bell has Fr.Patrick Doyle’s name imprinted on it. In 1963 the parish church was moved to Christ Church (Christ the King Church). Christ Church was built in the year 1816. It was designed and was constructed by British Military Engineers with mixture of sand and limestone at a cost of Rs. 4,000/-

As per the parish register, Fr. Patrick Doyle was the chaplain at Cantonment in 1840.   The Church of Assumption of Our Lady (old Church) was built in the year 1866, by Fr. Patrick Doyle with the contribution from the local people. The army left Ballari after the World War I.  Christ Church (Christ the King Church) was transferred to Father J.F. Hogan, Vicar Apostolic of Bellary, by the Indian Churches Trustees of the Anglicans in the year 1939. The Episcopal ordination of Most Rev. Ambrose P. Yeddanapalli OFM, the second Bishop of Bellary took place in this church on 14 April, 1964. The present Christ the King Church building, built in 1816, was renovated in the year 1991 under the leadership of Fr. Y.S.John.  A grotto of Our Lady and a bell tower was donated Mr. P.Guru Mathew in 2008, when Fr. Gnanpragasam T. was the parish priest.The church was renovated with a grant from the Govt. of Karnataka the year 2016-17 under the leadership of Fr.Y.S.Peter. It was blessed and rededicated by Bishop Henry d’Souza on18 June2017.

House of MenReligious

  • Dharmodaya Sevashram of OFM Friars

Convents

  • Good Shepherd Convent
  • St. Mary’s Convent of Franciscan Hospitaller Sisters of Mary Immaculate
  • Missionaries of Charity
  • Cluny Convent of Cluny Sisters of St. Joseph
  • Ballari Arogya Matha Convent of MSMI Sisters
  • BethanyConvent of Bethelemite Sisters
  • Gnanamma Vriddhashrama Convent(CSSA) of Sisters of St. Anne of Phirangipuram

Lay Apostolic Life

  • Auxiliaries of the Apostolate

Institutions

  • Ballari Diocesse Development Society (BDDS)
  • Bethany –Senior Priests’ Home
  • Vianney Vidhyalaya School
  • Loreto Kindergarten
  • St. Mary’s Higher Primary School
  • St. Philomena’s Primary School
  • St. Philomena’s High School & P.U. College
  • St. Mary’s Hospital & Mobile Clinic
  • Nava Jeevana (Rehabilitation Centre for the Physically Challenged)
  • St. Mary’s Boarding Home for Girls
  • Home for the Destitute and Dying (Missionaries of Charity)
  • Mathe Maria Mahila Pragathi Dhama (Hostel & Vocational Training Centre for Girls)
  • Bellary Mathe Learning Centre
  • Mathe Bhavan Community Hall
  • Navodaya Catholic Centre
  • Gnanamma Vriddhashrama Convent
  • Gnanamma Vriddhashrama

 
You are here: Home Parishes & Convents Parishes and Convents Parishes & Convents BELLARY CANTONMENT: Christ the King Church [1800]

Bellary Arogya Mathe Shrine

Bellary-Mathe-small The Shrine of Bellary Arogya Mathe was blessed and dedicated on 8th September 2000 on the feast of the Nativity of our Blessed Mother Mary in memory of the great jubilee 2000 and the Golden Jubilee of the Diocese of Bellary

Read More...

Diocesan Diamond Jubilee

This year is Diamond Jubilee of our Bellary Diocese.  It is completing 60 years in the service to God and His people.

Read More...

Loss of Life and Property due to Flash Floods in Bellary Diocese

 Number of people affected : 151,934
Loss of life : 72
Villages affected : 1,296
Houses destroyed/damaged : 118,833
Relief being distributed to : 3,500 families
No. Catholic houses lost: 560
Number of medical camps held : 22