Diamond Jubilee of the Bellary Diocese 1949-2009

This year is Diamond Jubilee of our Bellary Diocese.  It is completing 60 years in the service to God and His people.  In 1928, the Holy See detached the two districts of Raichur and Gulbarga from the Diocese of Hyderabad and the District of Bellary from the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore and formed the new MissionSui Juris” of Bellary. It was entrusted to the pastoral care of the Order of Friars Minor of the English province. Twenty years later, it was considered sufficient to be constituted as a Diocese on 10th March1949 with Rt. Rev. John Forest Hogan, OFM appointed as the first Bishop of Bellary.