Bellary Diocese

  • Create an account
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.

Our Patron - St. Anthony

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events currently scheduled.
View full calendar

Renovated 200-Year Church Rededicated In Bellary

E-mail Print PDF

BELLARY, JUNE 18 (Sagaya): Large number of priests, religious, lay faithful and well-wishers joyfully witnessed the bicentenary celebrations and blessing of the renovated Christ the King Parish Church in Bellary on June 18.

Two hundred years of Christian worship rooted in deep faith in God was celebrated meaningfully while praising God.

Built and blessed as an Anglican church in 1816 at a cost of Rs. 4,000 and handed over to Bishop J.F. Hogan, the first Bishop of Bellary, the beautifully renovated church was blessed by Bishop. The historic event was attended by Sri N.Y. Gopalkrishna, Bellary Rural MLA, Shri. J. R. Lobo, MLA & Chairman, BCM Commission, Sri Venkatramana, Mayor, Smt. Deena Manjunath, Chairperson, Zilla Panchayat, Smt. Matilda D’Souza, Minority Commission and many other dignitaries.  Bishop particularly thanked Sri JR Lobo and the Govt. of Karnataka for the much needed grant. He also lauded the services of Fr. Y.S. Peter, Parish Priest Dean for his leadership in the renovation work, ably assisted by the Parish Pastoral Council and parishioners.

When the British made Bellary a Military Station with a Cantonment in 1801, Christ Church (Christ the King Church) was constructed for worship purpose for the army personnel, their families and auxiliary workers.

Christ the King Church is just across Cantonment Railway station beside VIMS Medical college, Bellary and old Garrison buildings.

Christ Church was under the control of Anglican   Church till 1939. It was transferred to Bellary Roman Catholic Mission in 1939.

It is to be noted that the consecration of Bishop Ambrose Yeddanappalli ofm, the second Bishop of Bellary took place in this historical church.

The magnificent church Alter was used during the consecration of Bishop Henry D’Souza, fourth Bishop of Bellary.

A grand felicitation program followed the Eucharistic celebration.

Guests Shri N.Y. Gopala Krishna, MLA Bellary Rural, Shri. J.R. Lobo,MLA Mangalore, Shri Venketaramana, City Major, Smt. Deena Manjunath, Chairman Bellary Zilla Panchayat, Christian Development Council committee members represented by Smt. Matilda D’Souza, Shri. Wiljit Singh, Shri. Mahendra Jain, Rev. Fr. Paulraj, Vicar General, Shri. T.H.M. Basavaraj, Member, State History Academy and Fr. Sam Nalan, Diocesan Finance Officer, Fr. Devanesan, Diocesan Estate Manager and large numbers of priests and people were present at the occasion.

Bishop Henry D’Souza lauded the services of Shri J.R. Lobo in facilitating to get funds from Govt. of Karnataka.

Bishop appreciated and thanked the efforts of Fr. Y. S. Peter, Parish Priest, Parish Council members and all those assisted him to renovate the church. He also gratefully recalled the pastoral works done by formers priests, who served this parish since its inception.

At that occasion the Bishop appealed to everyone particularly parents to build solid families nurtured in faith and word of God.   He also said that parents and elders are duty bound to live in harmony, respect with the people of other faith and to teach their children to live accordingly.

While addressing Shri J.R. Lobo said, every worship place is sacred and must be honored  with due respect and particularly  each Christian must reflect Christ in our daily live. The society and the people whom we live with must recognize Christ in us.

Golden Couples and Sr. Patricia, Miss Sugantha, Mr. Xavier, Mrs. Fatima of the Parish were honored for their extraordinary services to society were  honoured.

There are number of Religious & Diocesan Charitable, Social and Educational institutions are in this parish.

Saint Mother Teresa visited this place/parish thrice and founded a home for the destitute in 1967.

The Parish Youth and children presented a meaningful cultural program. Fr. Gnanapragasam T. and Miss Evelyn anchored the program.

Fr. Peter, Parish Priest of Cantonment Parish thanked one and all.

Festive dinner was served  for everybody at the conclusion of the program.

 
You are here: Home News Events & Updates Renovated 200-Year Church Rededicated In Bellary

Bellary Arogya Mathe Shrine

Bellary-Mathe-small The Shrine of Bellary Arogya Mathe was blessed and dedicated on 8th September 2000 on the feast of the Nativity of our Blessed Mother Mary in memory of the great jubilee 2000 and the Golden Jubilee of the Diocese of Bellary

Read More...

Diocesan Diamond Jubilee

This year is Diamond Jubilee of our Bellary Diocese.  It is completing 60 years in the service to God and His people.

Read More...

Loss of Life and Property due to Flash Floods in Bellary Diocese

 Number of people affected : 151,934
Loss of life : 72
Villages affected : 1,296
Houses destroyed/damaged : 118,833
Relief being distributed to : 3,500 families
No. Catholic houses lost: 560
Number of medical camps held : 22