Our Patron
St Anthony of Padua

Parishes & Convents

BALLARI - COWL BAZAAR: ST. ANTHONY'S CATHEDRAL (1775)

Parish : St. Anthony's Cathedral
Established : 1858
Patron : St. Anthony of Padua
Catholics : 2,500
Families : 500
Address : Cowl Bazaar, Ballari - 583102
Tel : 08392-240374
Email : stanthonycathedral@gmail.com
Deanery : Ballari
Parish Priest (Rector) : Fr. P.R. Paulraj A.
Mob : 9448104876
Email : pudotapaul@ahoo.com
Asst Parish Priest : Fr. Vasanth Kumar
Email : dvasanth147@gmail.com
Mob : 9591870171
PPC Vice.President : Mrs. Helen Mathew
PPC Secretary : Mr. Y. B. Joseph
Associations : Legion of Mary, Youth, Altar Boys & Vincent de Paul

Mass timings : 6:00 am; 7:30 am; 5:30 pm on Sundays, 6:30 am; 5:30 pm on weekdays

Daily Adoration : 6:00 am - 6:30 am on Mon - Sat

A brief history of the parish :
The first priest to serve in Ballari was Fr. Joachim D'Souza. He came to Ballari from Goa in 1775. The parish territory extended to districts of Ballari, Karnool and Kadappa and a considerable portion of Nizam's territory. He died in Bangalore in 1829. He was held with great esteem by the local people. The British ruled in Ballari from 1800. The Bellary Mission continued under the charge of the priests from Goa till 1837. Thereafter, Fr. W. Dinan was appointed chaplain by the then Govt. to the Roman Catholic Soldiers at Ballari. Fr. Fulgnce Perozy was in - charge of the mission from 1826 - 1844. Ballari came under the Vicar Apostolic of Madras in 1837. Fr. Patrick Doyle was appointed military chaplain and parish priest in 1840. The church, formerly called St. Lazarus' Church, was built for the native Christians in the year 1847 by Fr. Patrick Doyle at the cost of Rs.5,000 from local donations. The number of native Christians in the year 1840 was 1,950. In 1864, a Tamil School was started in the vicinity of St. Lazarus Church. Ramdurg, Muddenagiri, Adoni and Alur were the out - stations of the parish. St. Lazarus' Church was renovated in the year 1872 by Fr. Patrick Doyle. (cf. Ballari Gazetteer, 1869, pp. 300 - 302)

Fr. Patrick Doyle was 65 years when he died on Aug. 19, 1877. He was called by the name “Dayalu”(merciful). He died of injuries sustained in an attack by a band of robbers on the road between Ramgad (Sandur) and Ballari. He was buried in the sanctuary of St. Lazarus Church (St. Anthony's Cathedral, Ballari), the church he built and loved. He was the modern Apostle of Ballari. (cf. Ballari Mission, by Fr. Sylvester O.F.M.1960).

From 1928, Friars Minor of English Province, served Ballari under the leadership of Fr. Ernest Reilly. Fr. John Forest Hogan ofm, succeeded him in 1934, who later became the first Bishop of Bellary. In 1949 the new Diocese of Bellary was erected and St. Lazarus Church was raised to the dignity of St. Anthony's Cathedral by Papal Bull dated 10 March, 1949. Later it was renovated and enlarged by Bishop Ambrose P. Yeddanapalli ofm, on the occasion of his Sacerdotal Silver Jubilee on 3 October 1968. The present church was again renovated and blessed by Bishop Henry D'Souza on Oct 11, 2012. Fr. Charles D'Souza was then Parish Priest. St. Martin's Home was renovated with the assistance of Manos Unidas during the term of Fr. P.R. Paulraj. A. and blessed by Bishop Henry D'Souza on 4 August 2016.

Priests and Religious from the parish:
• Frs. Marianathan
• Arogyanathan
• Jude Anand SDB
• Raj Kumar
• Robert Paul
• Srs. Francina FS (late)
• Rita FS
• Wilfreda fs
• Lily FS
• Vimala FS

Convents:
• St. Francis Xavier Convent of Fatima Sisters
• St. Joseph's Premashrama of Fatima Sisters

Institutions
• Nirmala Consumers Co-operative Society
• St. Joseph's Boy's High School
• St. Joseph's Co Ed. English Medium School
• St. Francis Xavier Kindergarten School
• St. Joseph's Kannada Medium Primary School for Girls
• St. Joseph's English Medium Primary School for Girls
• St. Joseph's Girls High School
• St. Anthony's Community Centre
• St. Martin's Home (Boarding for Boys)
• St. Joseph's Premashrama (Boarding for Girls)